Tuberculosis (commonly known as TB) is a bacterial infection that can affect any organ in your body but is most often found in the lungs. The disease is typically spread through the air when a person with TB sneezes or coughs onto nearby individuals. If not treated properly, TB can be fatal.
That’s why Dynacare now offers the QuantiFERON®
-TB Gold (QFT) blood test for detection of TB. Unlike the century-old TB skin test, the QFT test is more sensitive (84.5% vs. 71.5%) and more accurate (99.2% vs. 78.0%). Other advantages of the QFT test include:
QFT has significant and tangible benefits for TB control programs including:
- It is not affected by a previous BCG (Bacille Calmette-Guérin) vaccination.
- It is not affected by most other environmental mycobacteriae.
- It does not require a second patient visit. The skin test requires a second visit (within 48-72 hours) in order to read the test result.
- Results can be available within 2 - 10 days.
QFT is the preferred screening method
for TB infection. It has been approved by both the Federal Drug Administration (FDA) in the U.S. and by Health Canada and has seen growing support in guidelines and recommendations from such reputable agencies as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the American College of Rheumatology and the Infectious Diseases Society of America. In fact, according to the CDC, “The greater specificity of the Quantiferon test and the requirement for only one visit are compelling advantages.”*
* CDC TB Basic Facts http://www.cdc.gov/tb/topic/basics/default.htm. Accessed 2/24/10.
- fewer missed TB cases;
- better outcomes for patients;
- more confidence in correctly identifying TB infections; and
- significant cost savings through fewer false-positive results.